If you want to get thicken abs and a stronger core, you need to work out on each muscle of the core, especially the lower abs, and in this article, I’ve shared the best lower ab workouts you can do at home with stepwise instructions and images.
Exercising for the lower abs is an advanced workout and this isn’t a piece of cake for everyone. It takes great effort, strength, and persistence to thicken and reveal the lower ab muscles.
There are two ways you can achieve the best result in the least amount of time.
firstly, you need to maintain your calorie consumption, so that when you work out, your body uses stored fats and maintain or reduce weight.
Also check out: 10 Economical Low-Calorie Foods For Weight Loss Diet
Secondly, you need to do the best exercises for your lower abs that increase strength and thicken abs.
List of best lower ab exercises
Here’s a complete list of exercises for lower ab. And below you’ll find step-by-step instructions for how to do them.
|1. Crunch Kicks||5. Ab wheel roller||9. V-up crunches||13. Air plunge abdominal exercise|
|2. Lying Leg Raises||6. Mountain Climbers||10. Knee to elbow touching plank||14. Russian twist|
|3. Reverse crunches||7. Toe touch crunches||11. Reverse Crunches 2||15. Bicycle crunch|
|4. Hanging leg raises||8. Flutter kicks||12. Static Leg Raise Hold||16. Planks|
Who can do these lower ab Workouts?
I’ve included lower abs workouts for all fitness levels, such as for beginners, intermediate, men, and women. You may not perform each exercise but you must try all of them. And if you want to lose weight, you can also do these exercises, because they will burn extra calories and help you flatten your stomach.
Note: You can’t have 6 pack abs until you train for the lower abs. Exercising for the lower abs is the most essential part of the core that develops visibility for the six-pack abs.
The science behind the 6 pack Ab muscles
There are basically 3 layers in our core:
- The Rectus Abdominis: This is the long and narrow muscle in the middle portion of the abdomen. It is also described as a “Six-pack”.
- The External obliques & Internal obliques: The external obliques essentially help the spine flex to both sides and twist. The internal obliques lie underneath the external obliques and support them in flexing and rotating the spine
- The Transverse Abdominis: This is the deepest layer of ab muscles.
Maybe you wonder but everyone has six-pack abs. In people with low body fat, it is clearly visible under the skin creating the ‘six-pack’. The rectus abdominis is the six-pack abs which everyone posses.
According to the anatomical arrangement, rectus abdominis belongs to the anterior abs muscles together with pyramidalis muscle. This muscle functions along with external oblique, internal oblique and transversus abdominis.
The main part of the Abs is “rectus abdominis“; and for building lower abs you must focus on the lower part of rectus abdominis.
How to workout Lower Abs: Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Crunch kicks
Benefits of “Crunch Kicks” for lower abs:
Crunch Kicks are the best way to start your lower abs workout. This will activate your trunk muscles. It works for your back, pelvis, obliques and transverse abdominis.
20 reps are recommended and and range of motion should be normal.
2. Leg Raises
How to do reg raise:
- First, lay down on your back keeping your body straight and your hand just under the butt.
- Start to raise your both legs and try to keep your head just above the floor if possible.
- Hold for a jiffy and then lower down both legs slowly.
- Hold your breath while the movement of your legs.
- 20 reps are recommended for better results.
3. Reverse crunches For Lower Abs
How to reverse crunch:
- Lie down on your back and your hand straight up on the floor.
- Raise your both legs and bend them up making a 90-degree angle to the floor.
- Bring your both legs as close as to your chest while ensuring that you feel the tension in your abs.
- Pause for a moment then push your hips forward without touching your legs to the floor.
- Do this 20 reps and maintain your breathing.
4. Hanging Leg Raises
Pullup bar hanging leg raises are not easy to perform as it requires techniques and strength to pull your whole body up. To perform these exercises your arms should be strong and your body should be balanced.
Improper and unbalanced movements can cause unwanted injuries or sores. To avoid injuries seek your partner assistance.
Perform 10-15 reps of different types.
There are basically 4-5 hanging leg raise exercises for six-pack abs.
- Hanging straight leg raises
- Hanging raise Knees To Elbows
- Knee Tuck to Twist Raises
- The Hanging raises Toes to Bar
- The Hanging windshield wipers
Benefits of Hanging abs exercises:
- They work on every part of the trunk such as rectus abdominis, obliques and transverse obliques.
- These exercises will strengthen the core and when you hang on the bars it will also increase your arms power.
- Performing hanging leg raises also works on your back muscles.
5. Ab roller exercise
Ab roller exercise is an advanced and intense part of the abs workout. Multiples muscles work at once when you perform this exercise. To perform the ab roller workout; you should have the good upper body strength and core strength. Because this movement engages different muscles apart from abs such as arms, shoulder, chest etc.
If you feel any pain in your lower back when you perform ab-roller, stop and increase your core strength with other exercises, mentioned in this article.
This is one of the best exercises for the lower abs as it works on the whole part of the abdominal muscles. This requires a proper technique to perform this exercise. While doing this workout you should focus on your abs muscles and tighten them.
This also works on your chest, triceps, lats and deltoids. Additionally, it will stabilize the muscles that run along your spine.
6. Mountain Climbers
Mountain Climbers abs workout
Benefits of Mountain climbers abs exercise:
- This exercise strengthens your core and enhances your stamina.
- Mountain climber is a great way to burn more calories. Hence, it is effective in weight loss plan.
- Mt. climber works on the whole body. Apparently, it increases your body mobility and improves body flexibility.
Mountain climber is a part of “High-Intensity Interval Training” (HIIT). Additionally, this exercise is a great way to warm up the body.
7. Toe touching crunches
Double Leg toe-touch crunches
Toe-touch crunches are an abs workout that best works on rectus abdominis and obliques. This one is challenging as well as very effective. This one is very effective as it works on both upper and lower abs. Do as many as reps you can and never skip this from your core workout routine.
Benefits of Toe-touch crunches:
- Build a stronger core
- May reduce your back pain
- Effective for lower abs
Different types of Toe-touch crunches:
- Single leg toe-touch crunches: This movement a bit easier than double leg toe-touch because one leg is grounded that makes easier to perform.
- Medicine Ball Toe Touches
- Off-to-the-Side Toe Touches
8. Scissors Kicks or flutter kicks abs workout
How to do Scissors kicks or flutter kicks:
Lay down on your back with legs extended straight toward the ceiling and keep your hands down under the lower back for support.
Raise your leg alternately and maintain your breathing level. 15 reps will be good to start.
Benefits of scissors workout:
- This works for core muscles, glutes, quadriceps and abductors.
- Strengthen the lower body.
- Helps to burn more calories.
- Reduce back pain and chances of injuries.
9. V-up crunches
V-ups crunches are better for targeting all your abs muscles, including your lower abs, obliques and core. It is better than traditional crunches. It works on your core, obliques and rectus obdominis.
How to do V-up crunches:
First, lay down on the floor on your back; keeping our hands and legs off the ground to the 90-degree angle.
Raise your both legs towards your chest and your hands towards the knees. Hold for a sec then return to the initial position. That’s one rep. As this movement is difficult, so it is up to you how many reps you can do. The more reps you can do the more effective will be for your core.
10. Knee to elbow touching plank
To perform a knee to inside elbow touching, get into a high plank position with your arms are straight underneath your shoulder. Now, brace your core and bring your right knee toward the left elbow, return, and then repeat on the other side. That would be your one crunch.
You can do it as many times as you can. It works well because it involves two exercises at the same time, plank and knee to elbow crunch. And both are effective for your lower abs.
11. Reverse Crunches 2
Reverse crunches are effective workouts than standard crunches for your abs. They work on your lower abs and reduce lower fats which is essential for six-pack muscles.
Here’s how to perform modified reverse crunches at home
First of all, lie on the mat on your back, and raise your both leg together in the air (but not straight). Additionally, you can slightly lift your head two to three inches off the floor. That’s your starting position. And now, bring your knees toward your chest until your abs got fully engaged. That’s your one repetition. Do as many as possible.
12. Static Hold Abs Workout
According to an article published on the fitness website (Greatist), static holds are effective for strengthening your core. Because they keep your core engages throughout the movement.
To perform the bodyweight static hold, sit on the floor with your legs are straight in front of you. Place your hands at your sides and lean backward. Now, brace your core and then, lift your leg five to six inches off the floor and hold in the position for as long as you can stretch.
To add resistance and make more effective, use a weight plate and keep it on your shin. Then hold your feet in the air for the maximum time possible.
13. Air Plunge Abs Exercise
Air plunge abdominal exercise is a part of an intense abs workout. It is very effective for building your lower abs.
Lay down on your back, keeping your hands straight on the ground for support; and legs off the floor.
Pull your legs towards your stomach and then push against the ceiling and then return to the initial position. Complete 15 reps.
14.Russian twist abs workout
Russian twist abs workout
The Russian twist is the popular abs workout. This improves obliques strength and strengthens the core. Russian twist helps to reduce back pain, provide flexibility to the waist.
In addition, it also increases flexibility and improves overall body balance. You can do as many as reps you can.
It also burns calories and helps to reduce the excess fat at the side of your belly. Eventually, It assists in building lower abs faster.
Check out the most debated topic: What’s the Best time for a workout?
15. Bicycle crunch
How to do bicycle crunches:
- Lay down on the back legs extended on the ground and place your hands behind your head with elbows bent out to the sides.
- Lift one of your legs toward your upper body and try to let your knee and deltoid as close as possible.
- Stretch the right leg as you bend the left knee approaching the chest and rotate the shoulder toward it. In the same way complete 15-20 reps.
16. Planks (best workout for abs)
Planks are highly effective when it comes to abs workout. It does not only strengthen the core but also improve your body postures and helps you in weight loss.
Either you exercise for upper abs or lower abs, this one should be part of it. Planks have different types such as forearm planks, side forearm planks, planks. extended arm plank, knee to the opposite and the same elbow planks and planks ups downs etc.
How to do traditional fore-arm planks:
First, make a position as you do a push-up and place your forearms on the ground to the width of your shoulder.
Tighten your abs muscles and core, hold it for a minute. That’s complete.
Having six-pack abs and maintaining them is an arduous activity. Firstly, You need low body fat to reveal your six-pack abs. To achieve this, you should mainly focus on diets.
You need to focus on your caloric deficit. It simply means you need to burn more calories than you consume. This can be achieved by consuming low calories foods, avoiding sugar and regular workout. If you do this along with workout this will surely help you building and maintain six-pack abs.
If I would say frankly, so weight loss is not an easy task, it as a complex task that requires proper diet and workout plan.
The process of losing body fat depends on person to person. Particularly women have to work harder than men to lose body fats.
Most importantly you have to be dedicated and follow proper plan to achieve your fitness goals. Remember you’re persistence and hard work will always pay. Best things take time to develop or established; all you need to do is to keep patience and keep working.Help Us Grow On Social Media
- The Ultimate List of Isolation Exercises with PDF - 26th May 2022
- The Best Kettlebell HIIT Workouts and Routines with PDF - 24th May 2022
- 12 Week Crossfit Program with Free pDF - 21st May 2022