If you’re trying to enhance endurance and improve cardiovascular fitness, you can do anaerobic exercises at home. In this article, I’ve shared how to do the 6 best anaerobic workouts at home.
Anaerobic exercises are short-term and intense burst movements that allow your body to use carbs and fats for energy. They are great for improving endurance and agility and have a positive impact on overall health.
How to do Anaerobic Exercises at Home?
If you want to pump your heart, burn extreme calories, increase blood flow, boost metabolism, and lose weight, then you can do anaerobic exercises at home.
Skipping rope, jump squats, burpees, and side to side run are some of the examples of anaerobic workouts you can do at home.
To perform the anaerobic exercises at home, take a long breath 10 to 15 times, do the warm-up for a couple of minutes, put an air pod in your ears if you have (because listening to self-selected music improved exercise performance, research suggested), and then start performing anaerobic exercises.
Here are the top 6 anaerobic exercises you can do at home
1. JUMPING ROPE
Skipping or jumping rope is one of the best anaerobic exercises you can do at home.
It is a full body exercise that primarily involves the movements of your arms and legs.
The studies suggest doing jumping rope has a positive impact on physical fitness. It improves heart health, helps you lose weight, reduces the risk of diabetes, and improves body composition.
Moreover, it will enhance your endurance level, quickness, jumping ability, and athletic performance.
The skipping rope is for everyone, whether you’re a male or female or beginner or intermediate fitness enthusiast.
To perform jumping rope, you need rope and some space where the rope couldn’t touch the wall.
How to jump rope:
- Stand upright with your feet hip-width apart holding the handing rope’s in each of your hands. Keep your arms straight at your sides at least a foot away from your body. While the rope should hang behind you. That’s the start.
- To start jumping, use your hands and wrists to swing the rope over your head. Avoid the excess movement of arms and try to use your wrist for rotation.
- When the rope comes in front of your feet, slightly lift your feet off the ground and continue this motion as fast as you can for anaerobic purpose.
Jumping can help you burn 1000 calories in an hour if you perform at your maximum heart rate. If you consistently do ropes, it may increase weight loss.
2. SQUAT JUMP
You can include the squat jump in your anaerobic home workout routine. It can help you increase your blood flow and improve oxygen supply in the muscles.
The squat jump works on several muscles at the same time, especially your lower body.
It is a great exercise for increasing stamina, agility, strength and power, burning calories, and improving overall fitness.
How to do squat jump
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bendyour elbows and keep your hands together in front of your body.
- Push your hips back, squat down until your buttock is parallel to ground and then press into the floor with your heels to jump explosively in the air, as high as you can and then land your feet, do squat and again jump.
- Do as many reps as possible in 20 to 30 seconds, and as fast as you can.
When I have to increase my blood flow and breathing, I do jump squats in the morning.
So when you want to charge up your body in a short time, you can do this exercise at home.
Burpee is one of my favorite exercises I do at home for anaerobic purposes. It helps me strengthen my muscles, increase endurance, and improve overall fitness.
If you’re a fitness enthusiast who exercises at home without equipment, try burpees at home.
It is a compound exercise and will work on your entire body at the same time.
A study showed burpees increase very good strength endurance in a 3-minute Burpee test conducted by the Journal of Human Kinetics. This test includes 3862 women and 5971 men, aged between 18 to 25, from different countries like Poland, Great Britain, Hungary, and Serbia.
With burpees, you can strengthen muscles, burn good number of calories, and lose weight.
Let’s take a look at how you can do burpees with step by step instructions
- Stand upright in the shoulder-width stance.
- Jump into the air as high as possible and raise arms straight overhead simultaneously.
- Land your feet on the floor, bend your knees and place your hands on the ground, all at the same time.
- Now, kick your leg behind, so you’ll come in the high plank position.
- Then do one complete pushup and reverse all the steps and repeat for the next repetitions.
- Do as fast as you can for 20 to 30 seconds.
4. SIDE TO SIDE LATERAL RUN
Doing lateral runs at home can significantly increase your heart rate and blood flow that allows your body to use oxygen efficiently.
The anaerobic lateral running exercise works on your entire body, specially the lower body.
You can do side-to-side run or lateral drills to increase your agility, stamina, power that helps you improve overall athletic performance.
How to do side to side run anaerobic exercise at home
- Standing in a straight position, pump your arms and legs, as you quickly move from side to side in a 5 to 10 meters range area.
- Once you cover the distance, stop and drive your inside knee up, then press off with the opposite leg to laterally run to the opposite side.
- Repeat right to left and left to right as fast as you can for 30 seconds.
5. DUMBBELL WEIGHT TRAINING
Strength training is also considered an anaerobic exercise because it requires carbohydrates and fats for energy instead of oxygen. And if you have dumbbells, you can do strength training anaerobic workouts at home.
You have myriad options of dumbbell exercises to do to build strength, endurance as well as muscles at home.
Here are some examples of dumbbell anaerobic exercises you can do at home:
- Dumbbell Squat Swing
- DB Pullover
- Dumbbell CrossFit WOD
- DB Romanian Deadlift
- Dumbbell Floor Press
- Dumbbell Deadlifts
6. PUSH UP
Push Ups can be an anaerobic exercise if you perform at your maximum heart rate or as fast as you can.
You can easily do 20 to 30 push ups in 30 seconds.
Push-up is a great upper body workout you can do to build strength and upper body muscle.
To do a pushup, get into a high plank position, and lower your upper body toward the ground as low as possible until your chest is a few inches above the floor, and then press back to the high plank position. That’s your one rep!
Try to perform as many push ups as possible, as fast as you can in 30 seconds.
How long should I do anaerobic exercise at Home?
Doing 10 to 15 minutes of daily one session of anaerobic exercises at home is enough to improve endurance and agility.
If you’re a beginner, you can do anaerobic workouts at home for 15 minutes, two to three times a week to improve overall health and performance.
Can you lose weight with anaerobic exercises?
Yes, anaerobic exercises can help you lose weight if you do them consistently and maintain a diet.
A study has shown anaerobic exercises have a positive influence on the lipid profile that can help you lower your body fat percentage.
Anaerobic workouts help you burn more calories, boost metabolism, and allow your body to use stored fat for energy purposes, and all these things have a positive impact on weight loss.
But remember, doing exercise only may not help you lose weight. Weight loss is a complex process that requires you to follow a strict diet and consistent training.
You may also like:
15-Minute Anaerobic Home Workout Routine
|PUSH UP||Do as many reps as possible within a minute||60 seconds|
|SQUAT JUMP||Do as fast as you can for 30 seconds||60 seconds|
|SIDE TO SIDE LATERAL RUN||Do for 30 seconds as quick as you can||60 seconds|
|Dumbbell Squat Swing||Do as many reps as possible in 20 seconds||40 seconds|
|Dumbbell Floor Press||Do as many reps as possible in 20 seconds||40 seconds|
|DB Romanian Deadlift||5 Repetitions in 30 seconds||60 seconds|
|JUMPING ROPE||Perform two sets of 30 seconds each at a fast pace||60 seconds|
|BURPEES||Do two sets of as many reps as possible in one minute||60 seconds|