If you’ve decided to get in shape but don’t have time to hit the gym, no problem because you can do plenty of exercises at home with little to no equipment. And with the help of those workouts, I’ve created the best home workout programs for weight loss. I’ll also hand out the PDF of these programs so you can download and use them offline.
Besides diet, workouts play a crucial role in increasing fat loss. Several studies have demonstrated that exercises can speed up weight loss by helping you stay in a calorie deficit, boosting metabolism, and improving cardiovascular health.
So, if you’re ready to take a weight loss challenge, I’ve got the best home workout programs for you. These programs are simple, easy to follow, and will help you reduce body fats over time.
You can also download this: 4 Week Workout Plan For Weight Loss
The Five Best Home Workout Programs For Weight Loss
Here’s a list of the five best at home workout programs for weight loss you can incorporate into your daily regime.
- Aerobic Cardio Training
- Bodyweight CrossFit
- Dumbbell Training
1. Aerobic Cardio
Aerobic training is a convenient and inexpensive way to shed some excess kilos at home without equipment.
It is suitable for all fitness levels. So whether you’re a beginner or intermediate, male or female, teenager or elder, you can do low-impact cardio to speed up your weight loss.
So if you’re thinking of starting aerobic cardio, you’ll be glad to know aerobic exercises alone reduced 8.8 to 13 lbs after 10 months of training in overweight and obese men and women without calorie restriction – shown in a study published in PMC articles. 1Donnelly JE, Honas JJ, Smith BK, et al. Aerobic exercise alone results in clinically significant weight loss for men and women: midwest exercise trial 2. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(3):E219-E228. doi:10.1002/oby.20145
Moreover, aerobic exercise has various health benefits that directly and indirectly help you lose weight and improve body composition.
I’ve created a 30-min routine; you can follow it routinely if you like.
30-min Cardio Workout Program For Weight Loss At Home
- Number of rounds: 3
- Duration of one round: 10 minutes
- Training type: Cardio
- 10 Half Burpees, 45-sec rest
- 20-sec Mountain Climbers, 30-sec rest
- 20 Standard Squats, 60-sec rest
- 15 Kneeling Push-ups, 60-sec rest
- 30-sec Plank, 30-sec rest
- 10 Jump Squats, 30-sec rest
- 20-sec Mountain Climbers, 30-sec rest
- 10 Forward Lunges each side, 45-sec rest
- 10 Leg Raises, 30-sec rest
- 10 crunches, 30-sec rest
- 20-sec Side Plank each side with little to no rest.
- 20-sec High Knees, 30-sec rest
- 10 Bicycle Crunches, 30-sec rest
- 10 Half Burpees, 45-sec rest
- 15-sec Flutter Kicks, 30-sec rest
- 30-sec Plank, 30-sec rest
- 20 Reverse Crunches
2. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is one of the best home workout programs for weight loss. It is a great way to burn more calories in a quick time, accelerate weight loss2 Zhang H, Tong TK, Qiu W, et al. Comparable Effects of High-Intensity Interval Training and Prolonged Continuous Exercise Training on Abdominal Visceral Fat Reduction in Obese Young Women. J Diabetes Res. 2017;2017:5071740. doi:10.1155/2017/5071740, enhance metabolism and cardiovascular health.
Research says HIIT decreases total absolute fat mass 28.5% higher than moderate training. 3Viana RB, Naves JPA, Coswig VS, et al. Is interval training the magic bullet for fat loss? A systematic review and meta-analysis comparing moderate-intensity continuous training with high-intensity interval training (HIIT). Br J Sports Med. 2019;53(10):655-664. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2018-099928 Some studies even suggested that HIIT is an inexpensive alternative to weight loss supplements for reducing fats.
So if you want to quickly and effectively speed up your fat loss, you can combine a restricted diet with interval training in your daily routine.
You can do myriad exercises in the HIIT program. Some are easy and some challenging, so you can combine them to make an efficient workout plan.
You may also like: The Ultimate Pros And Cons Of HIIT Workout
Here I’ve created the best HIIT workout program that you can do to lose weight at home.
30-minute HIIT Home Workout Program to Lose Weight
|Round 1||Round 2||Round 3|
|10 Burpees, 20-sec rest||10 Jump Squats, 30-sec rest||20-sec Mountain Climbers, 30-sec rest|
|30-sec Mountain Climbers, 20-sec rest||10 Crunches, 30-sec rest||10 Reverse Lunges, 30-sec rest|
|20-sec High Knees, 20-sec rest||15 pushups, 30-sec rest||10 Man Maker, 30-sec rest|
|10 Heel Touch Crunches, 30-sec rest||20-sec Mt. Climbers, 30-sec rest||10 V-Ups Crunches, 30-sec rest|
|15 Standard Squats, 30-sec rest||20-sec Flutter Kicks, 30-sec rest||10 Burpees, 20-sec rest|
|10 Dead Bug, 30-sec rest||10 Split Squat Jump, 30-sec rest||20-sec Russian Twist, 20-sec rest|
|45-60 Plank, 30-sec rest||20-sec Side Plank each side, 15-sec rest||45-60 Plank, 30-sec rest|
Related: The Best Weekly HIIT Workout Plan
3. Bodyweight CrossFit
CrossFit is another form of high-intensity functional training that can help you lose weight and improve body composition.
Moreover, you can also combine it with other weight loss home workout programs.
Here’s a sample workout plan I’ve created for you.
30-minute CrossFit Workout Program at Home with no equipment
- AMRAP for 10 minutes
- EMOM for 10 minutes
- 1 to 10 Ascending Ladder for 5 minutes
- 10 to 1 Descending Ladder for 5 minutes
Do as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) for 10 minutes
- 10 Burpees
- 20-sec Mountain Climbers
- 5 Squat Jump
- 10 pushup
Try to complete at least two rounds in eight to ten minutes but three would be more effective.
Once you finish, take a break for a couple of minutes and then move on to the next one.
“Every Minute on the Minute” (EMOM) for 10 minutes
The EMOM challenges you to complete as many repetitions as possible within one minute with a very short recovery time, a maximum of 15 to 20 seconds.
It will be challenging at first but you’ll enjoy it after a certain period of time.
Here are the ten exercises you can do in ten minutes.
- Air Squat (at least 15 squats)
- Pushup (minumum 15 reps)
- Flutter Kicks (mininum 30 seconds)
- Burpees (at least 5-6 reps)
- Lying Leg Raises (minimum 10 reps)
- Mountain Climber (at least 30-sec at your own pace)
- Superman Pull (at least 10 reps)
- Plank (40-45 sec)
- Side Plank (20-25 sec/side)
- Flutter Kicks
Once you complete this round, take a rest for 2-3 minutes and get ready for the next round.
1 to 10 Ascending Ladder Workout for 5 minutes
Do the following exercises with a short recovery period between them.
- 1 Burpees
- 2 Pushups
- 3 Squats
- 4 Crunches
- 5 Reverse Crunches
- 6 Forward Lunges
- 7 Lying Leg Lifts
- 8 Pushups
- 9 Squats
- 10-sec High knees
You can take a rest for the remaining time. For example, if you finish these exercises in three minutes, you’ll have two minutes for recovery. Recovery is important as they preserve energy for the next round.
10 to 1 Descending Ladder Workout for 5 minutes
- 10-sec Mountain Climbers
- 9 reps Reverse Crunches
- 8 reps Squat
- 7 Pushups
- 6 Dead Bug
- 5 Glutes Bridge
- 4 Standing Calf Raise
- 3 Heel Touch Crunch
- 2 Squat Jump
- 1 Burpees
4. Tabata or Circuit Training
Tabata is a high-intense workout training that challenges you to perform a set of exercises (like circuit training) in a certain amount of time without rest between workouts.
It is more intense than typical HIIT and provides the same benefits but in the shortest time. However, it is not suitable for beginners, even intermediate find it challenging to perform for thirty minutes.
Nevertheless, you can give it try once you enhance your endurance.
I’ve created a sample for you, if you like you can do the following schedule:
20-minute Tabata Workout Training at Home For Weight Loss
- Each round: 4-minutes
- Number of rounds: 5
- Do 5 reps each exercise
|Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4||Round 5|
|Burpees||High Knees||Jump squats||Burpee||Jumping Jacks|
|Kneeling Push-up||Mountain Climbers||Alternate Heel Touch Crunches||Lateral Squat||Bear Crawl|
|Reverse Lunges||Flutters kicks||Squat Thrusts||Side-plank||Lying IYT Raises|
|Squat||Plank||Leg Raises||Glute Bridges||Burpees|
|Reverse Crunches||Crunches||Russian Twist||High Knees||Reverse Crunches|
|Leg Raises||Bear Crawl||Plank||Squat||Plank|
5. Dumbbell Training
Dumbbell exercises are good for growing strength and lean mass as well as improving body composition.
A study has shown that a combination of dumbbell and resistance band exercises decreases body weight and body fat and improves physical fitness with little calorie restriction. 4Kang HS, Matsuo T, Suzuki M. Effects of light resistance exercise using dumbbells and rubber band with mild energy restriction on body composition and physical fitness in obese Korean women. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(3):242-7. PMID: 15331335.
30 Minutes Dumbbell Home Workout Routine for Weight Loss
Here, I’ve made a sample of a dumbbell home workout program for weight loss if you want to increase weight loss you can follow it.
- Number of rounds: 4
- Reps per exercise: 6-8
- Time limit for one round: 7 minutes
- Number of exercises in each round: 5
|Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4|
|Single-Arm Dumbbell Swing||Dumbbell Squat to Calf Raises||Dumbbell Squat Swing||Dumbbell Push Press|
|Dumbbell Squat Jump||Dumbbell Step-up||Standing Dumbbell Side Bend||One-arm Dumbbell Rowing|
|Dumbbell Push Press||Incline Dumbbell IYT Raises||Dumbbell Deadlift to Upright Row||Dumbbell Clean and Press|
|Dumbbell Man Makers||Dumbbell Lunges||Both-arm Dumbbell Swings||Dumbbell Deadlift|
|Dumbbell Surrenders||Dumbbell Crunches||Dumbbell Floor Press||Dumbell Lunges|
Related: The Best Dumbbell HIIT Workout Plan
Best Home Workout Programs for Weight Loss Free PDF
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Home Workouts Make You Lose Weight?
Home exercises can help you lose weight but not significantly. They are good for improving strength, mobility, and cardiovascular health. However, for weight loss, your primary focus should be your diet (and it is another topic and if you’re not sure how to make a diet plan, you can consult a certified nutritionist).
How Much Should You Workout To Lose Weight?
A study published in the NCBI Journal suggested that: Adults who exercised greater than 200 minutes per week lost more weight (−13.1 kg) compared to those who exercised between 150-199 min per week (−8.5 kg), and those that exercised less than 150 minutes week (−3.5 kg) in 18 months.5 Jakicic JM, Winters C, Lang W, Wing RR. Effects of intermittent exercise and use of home exercise equipment on adherence, weight loss, and fitness in overweight women: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1999;282(16):1554-1560. doi:10.1001/jama.282.16.1554
So depending on your fitness level, you can exercise from 2 and a half hours to five hours a week.
If you’ve access to the gym, you can train
one hour five times a week to lose weight. However, if you work out at home, you can do 30-40 minutes of workouts five days a week to lose weight. And for that, you may follow one or some of the below workout programs.
Can you combine cardio and weight training?
Absolutely, you can combine cardio and weight training. Cardio will help you reduce fat and body mass, while weight training builds up lean mass. 6Willis LH, Slentz CA, Bateman LA, et al. Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2012;113(12):1831-1837. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01370.2011
You can do them on the same day. And it would be better for you to do the strength training first and then cardio to burn more calories and lose weight. 7Cardio or Weights First? Cardio Before vs. After Lifting– American Council of Exercise (ACE)
Can I Make Changes to the Above Programs?
Yes, you can make modify workout programs according to your fitness level. Moreover, you can also combine them if you like.
How long Does it take time to see the results?
Results depend on various things; however, if you restrict your calorie consumption, workout consistently, and sleep and wake up early, then you’ll start seeing positive results in a couple of months.
- The Ultimate List of Isolation Exercises with PDF - 26th May 2022
- The Best Kettlebell HIIT Workouts and Routines with PDF - 24th May 2022
- 12 Week Crossfit Program with Free pDF - 21st May 2022
- 1Donnelly JE, Honas JJ, Smith BK, et al. Aerobic exercise alone results in clinically significant weight loss for men and women: midwest exercise trial 2. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(3):E219-E228. doi:10.1002/oby.20145
- 2Zhang H, Tong TK, Qiu W, et al. Comparable Effects of High-Intensity Interval Training and Prolonged Continuous Exercise Training on Abdominal Visceral Fat Reduction in Obese Young Women. J Diabetes Res. 2017;2017:5071740. doi:10.1155/2017/5071740
- 3Viana RB, Naves JPA, Coswig VS, et al. Is interval training the magic bullet for fat loss? A systematic review and meta-analysis comparing moderate-intensity continuous training with high-intensity interval training (HIIT). Br J Sports Med. 2019;53(10):655-664. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2018-099928
- 4Kang HS, Matsuo T, Suzuki M. Effects of light resistance exercise using dumbbells and rubber band with mild energy restriction on body composition and physical fitness in obese Korean women. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(3):242-7. PMID: 15331335.
- 5Jakicic JM, Winters C, Lang W, Wing RR. Effects of intermittent exercise and use of home exercise equipment on adherence, weight loss, and fitness in overweight women: a randomized trial. JAMA. 1999;282(16):1554-1560. doi:10.1001/jama.282.16.1554
- 6Willis LH, Slentz CA, Bateman LA, et al. Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2012;113(12):1831-1837. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01370.2011
- 7Cardio or Weights First? Cardio Before vs. After Lifting– American Council of Exercise (ACE)