The lower back is the most important body part you should never forget to train and strengthen. The lower back joints upper body to the lower body because it connects to the hips, glutes, upper back & the neck. Although there are different exercises through which you can strengthen your lower back. But in this article, I’ve shared some lower back workouts that you can do with the dumbbell.
But why should I use weights for lower back workouts?
Weight training isn’t only for body builders or power lifter. Everyone can do the weight training whether you’re male or female, overweight or underweight, weight training is for all.
If your aim is to gain muscle strength then using weights in your workouts is the most important thing. Using weights in your workouts provides a stress to the muscles that cause them to adapt and get stronger. Strength training also tones your muscles and improve bone density and fight with the ageing hormone.
Barbells and machines won’t be as effective as the dumbbells for the lower back. So I’d suggest you do the lower back workouts with dumbbells.
Why should I do lower back workout using dumbbells?
Well, Dumbbells allow a greater range of motion, for example; you can move your hands in the directions you want, you can use one arm at one time as well as you can use the dumbbells when you are in different positions such as lying, seating, and standing.
Not only this, but you can also hold the dumbbells wherever you want. For instance, on your shoulders, at your sides, overhead, at chest level, etc. That is why dumbbells are the best low back exercises.
So, here we take a look at the list of 6 best lower back dumbbell exercise that you can do them at home as well as in the gym.
Top Dumbbell Lower Back Workouts
1.Good Morning Lower back workouts With A Dumbbell
The Good morning exercise is one of the basics but important workout for the lower back. Don’t go on its name because you can do anytime you want but morning time would be more effective as compared to the afternoon, evening or the night.
It is usually done by using the smith machine or the barbell but you can also do this by using the dumbbells.
Here we take a look at how you can do the good morning exercise with a dumbbell:
- Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart with holding a dumbbell between the shoulders and the hands and fix it under your arms.
- Keep your core tight and feet firmly on the ground. That’s your starting position.
- To begin the next step, slightly bend your knees, push your hips back and lean forward until you feel a slight stretch in your hamstrings.
- Then Hold for a couple of seconds and then slowly raise yourself in the beginning position.
- Maintain a flat back during the movement.
Try to perform this exercise for a couple of minutes and avoid if you feel uncomfortable because there are other exercises you can do for your lower back.
2. Dumbbell Hyperextension
The hyperextension exercise increases lower body muscle’s strength especially the hips and the lower back. So it is basically a must-do exercise for increasing the lower body strength and power.
You can also do the hyperextension workout without weight. But if you want to use the weight, use a pair of light weight dumbbells.
You can do hyperextension exercise on the machine but what if your gym doesn’t have a hyperextension machine or you don’t go to the gym at all?
Well, in that case, you can do the hyper-extension exercise on the flat bench using a dumbbell. Below I’ve given the instructions on how to hyperextension on a flat bench.
How To Dumbbell Hyperextension on the Flat Bench
- Start with lying prone (face downwards) on a flat bench. Your both feet on the one corner of the bench and your lower ab on another corner.
- Lock your feet behind or ask your friend to hold your feet on the bench. Grab a dumbbell with your hands just underneath your chest. That’s your starting position.
- Tighten your hips, thighs and the glutes and raise your upper body along with a dumbbell until you feel stretch in your lower back.
- Hold for a couple of seconds and then slowly lower your upper body down until your face closest to the ground. That’s one rep. Repeat this as many times as you like.
3. Dumbbell Deadlift
The Dumbbell Deadlift is good for the overall fitness including lower back strength. In an article published by ResearchGate, Deadlifts may help reduce back pain and prevents injuries. Deadlifts increase muscle and joints strength, improve bone density, improve muscles coordination etc.
They have many benefits which make it one of the important workouts you need to do for strengthening the lower back. Deadlifts have many variations and the dumbbell deadlift is one of them. So, here we take a look at how to perform the deadlift using dumbbells.
- Place a pair of dumbbells on the floor close to your feet. Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms extended in front of your thigh and palms facing your body. That’s your starting position.
- Tighten your core and push your hips back to lean forward while maintaining flat back. Lift the dumbbells with extended arms and slowly back to the standing position. That’s one repetition. Repeat this as many time as you like.
4. Superman with Dumbbells
The superman workout is a very useful workout which works on several muscles at a time. It works on the back, core, hamstrings and the glutes. Basically it is done to strengthen the lower back muscles and reduce pain.
The Superman exercise is easy & adaptable because you can do anywhere you like, like at home. It only requires a bit of space and your body. However, you can modify this exercise by using dumbbells.
Adding dumbbells will make this workout more advanced and effective. It is one of the best dumbbell workouts for the lower back.
Here’s how to Superman using Dumbbells
- Start with lying prone (face downwards) with your legs stretch behind and arms extended in front of you. Grab a pair of light dumbbells and keep your head in the neutral position. That’s the beginning.
- Raise both your arms and legs at the same time. raise both arms and legs as high as you can like a superman. Hold in this position for a couple of seconds and then lower back on the floor. You feel stretch in your lower back while you’re in the superman position.
5. Aquaman or Swimmming exercise with Dumbbell
The Aquaman exercise is similar to superman. Aquaman is easy to perform as compared to the superman because you don’t have to raise both legs and arms at the same time.
If your aim is to reduce back pain and increase lower back muscles strength then this exercise will help you to do so. You can also do this using the dumbbells for greater benefits.
How to perform Aquaman with dumbbells
- Start with lying prone (face downwards) with your legs stretch behind and arms extended in front of you.
- Grab a pair of light dumbbells and keep your head in the neutral position. That’s the beginning.
- Raise your right your arm and left leg at the same time. Raise both arm and leg as high as you can like you in the swimming position.
- Hold in this position for a couple of seconds and then lower back to the starting position. Then repeat with the other leg and arm. You feel stretch in your lower back while you’re in the swimming position.
Rolling exercise is normally done for core strength using an ab-wheel roller. However, you can use a pair of dumbbells to modify the exercise and make it useful for your lower back.
I tried this workout and it helped me a lot. Hope this will also help you strengthen your spine and prevents back pain and injuries.
How to Dumbbell Rolling
- Start with placing your knees on the mat and your feet behind you. Grab a pair of dumbbells which can roll and place it on the mat in a way that you can roll them forwards.
- Brace your core and start rolling the dumbbells forward while keeping your knees the same as it is. Roll the dumbbells until you feel stretch in your spine and the lower back. Hold in this position for a couple of seconds and then slowly return to the beginning position. For better understanding, you can check it here.
What are the benefits of stronger lower back or Why should you train lower back?
There are several benefits of the stronger lower back. Here we take a look at some of them.
- Strong Lower Back helps you perform difficult workouts such as deadlifts, weight squats etc.
- Most of the fitness enthusiasts trouble with lower back pain and got injured very quickly. That is why it is important to strengthen the lower back to prevent pain and injuries problem.
- The lower back is the midsection of your body, that’s why it is important to work on it and make it stronger so that you can increase your other muscles group.