When it comes to gym accessories, everyone has their own gym bag essentials. But there are some of the must have gym accessories you can carry, irrespective of your gender, to get a serious and enjoyable workout session. Having the right gym accessories can keep you motivated, improve performance and help you achieve your goals.
Top 10 Must Have Gym Accessories For Men and Women
Whether you’re a male or female, you can carry these gym bag essentials before heading to the gym.
- Water Bottle
- Wrist Straps
- Weightlifting Belt
- Knee Compression Sleeve
- Elbow Brace
- Hand sanitizer
These gym bag accessories are not fancy and expensive. You can get them at economical prices from local or online stores.
You can save this: The Best Gym Workout Plan for Women and Men with PDF
1. Towel for Keeping yourself clean and dry during your workout
If you want to stay clean and dry during your workout, your gym bag must have a good quality quick dry towel. It is one of the must have gym accessories to use.
Here’s why you need to use the towel at the gym:
- A towel helps you keep your hands dry while working out on the machines.
- You can wipe down the equipment before using them so that they don’t get dirty from sweat and grime.
- You can use the towel to clean your face during your workout.
What kind of towel should you use?
When it comes to picking a towel, you’ll see particularly two kinds: terry and microfiber.
Terry towels have a rough texture that is good for absorbing sweat but are not absorbent enough to use during exercise.
Microfiber towels are much more absorbent than terry cloths and can be used in the gym or at home for exercises like weight training, pilates, yoga, or cardio workouts. Moreover, it helps prevent bacteria from growing on and gives it an extra layer of protection against germs.
How frequently should you clean the towel?
Keeping the towels clean is as important as using them. You can wash the towel after every two to three workout sessions to keep it tidied and germs-free.
2. Water Bottle for Hydration
If you are a gym goer, you know that it is important to stay hydrated. Keeping yourself hydrated prevents muscle cramps and enhances your performance.
If you’re a serious fitness enthusiast, you must carry your own bottle with you, so you don’t have to use someone else’s bottle.
Here’s why you need to carry a water bottle to the gym:
- Water helps keep your energy levels up during workouts because it replenishes all of the electrolytes that get used up when working out.
- It keeps your body from getting as fatigued by keeping it well-hydrated.
- You won’t have to ask for someone else bottle.
How do you choose the best water bottle?
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing the best water bottle for the gym. The first thing you need to do is find out what your needs are and how much money you want to spend on them.
For example, if you want something that doesn’t leak easily, then try good quality stainless steel or glass bottle. They are also durable and long-lasting and maintain the quality of water.
How much does a water bottle cost you?
The cost of a water bottle depends on its size and the material used in making it. If you want to buy high quality and durable stainless steel bottle, it can cost you around 20 to 30 dollars, and if you go for a plastic bottle, it can cost you around 8 to 12 bucks on Amazon.
3. Shoes for Safety and Better Performace
The shoes are important for workouts, especially when you train at the gym. They provide better balance, stability, and support and help you enhance your workout performance.
Here are some reasons why you need to wear a shoe during the workout
- It helps in reducing injuries and pain by protecting your feet from unnecessary friction, pressure, and impact on the ground.
- It also helps in preventing blisters or cuts on your feet which can cause discomfort while exercising.
- Wearing shoes also prevents your feet from getting sweaty, thus keeping you comfortable during exercise sessions.
- Wearing a good pair of sneakers will make sure that you have enough support for your ankles and knees when doing squats or lunges.
How do you choose the best shoes?
You can choose the best gym shoes based on your budget, comfort level, and purpose. If you’re buying for cardio, then you should look for a pair of running shoes, and if it is for strength training, then you can choose from lifting shoes depending on what kind of exercises you do.
If you are a beginner, then it is better to go with basic pairs of gym shoes, and if you have been working out for a while, then it is better to upgrade to more expensive ones that will offer extra features and comfort.
You also want to check out how much support they offer so that your feet don’t get sore after working out in them for an extended period of time.
How much do good shoes cost you?
Spending on good quality shoes is worth it if you do not want to compromise your workout performance. You can get decent shoes for 30 to 50 dollars.
4. Wrist Strap for Weigthlifting
The wrist strap is one of the must have gym accessories to carry in your bag. It provides support and stability during weightlifting as well as helps you lift more weight. Wrist straps are also helpful for people who have wrist injuries or limited mobility in their wrists.
How do you use wrist straps?
When using wrist straps, it is important that they fit properly on your wrists so that they don’t cause pain or discomfort while lifting weights. Also, make sure that the straps ain’t too tight because it can limit how much weight you can lift.
When to use the wristband?
How to pick the best wrist straps for you?
The material of the wrist strap is very important. It should be soft and comfortable to wear. The best wrist strap you can get is the adjustable ones with velcro fasteners so that they stay in place and help you lift securely and effectively during the exercises.
How much do wrist straps cost you?
You can get a pair of wrist straps for around $10 or less, depending on the quality and features they provide.
5. Workout Belt For Weightlifting
To help protect your back and hips, you should carry a weightlifting belt in your gym bag. The workout belt provides safety and stability to your lower back during squats, deadlifts, lunges, and other workouts that involve the lower body.
Here are a couple of reasons why you must have a weightlifting belt with you in the gym.
- It helps prevent injuries and provides stability to your lower back.
- It enables you to lift more weight and improves performance.
How to pick the best weightlifting belt?
The best lifting belts are made of high-quality materials, comfortable for use, and durable enough for regular use.
When buying a weightlifting belt, check whether it is adjustable or not. Adjustable belts are good ones as you adjust them according to your body size.
You also must pay attention to the material quality of your lifting belt. For example, leather belts are more durable, but they may not be as comfortable as nylon belts.
I suggest you get a good quality nylon belt with a hook and loop support strap because it is safer and more effective.
How much does a workout belt cost you?
Weightlifting belts come with different quality and price tags. A good quality workout belt will cost you between $20 and $40. You can also get a cheap one that is not very durable for as little as $10, but it won’t last long.
6. Knee Compression Sleeve Support for Legs Workout
The knee compression sleeve helps provides support and safety to your knee joint during leg exercises, particularly squats and helps enhance your performance. They also prevent you from getting shin splints.
How to choose the best knee brace for the workout?
The knee sleeves are available in different colors, sizes, and designs for you to choose from. You can choose anyone according to your comfort and requirements.
The best knee brace is the one that fits you perfectly, provides maximum support to your knees, and causes no irritation during the workout. For example, you can go with a breathable fabric, which allows air circulation so that the skin does not get sweaty during workout sessions.
How much does a knee compression sleeve cost you?
The price of a knee compression sleeve depends on its brand name, size, and quality. The average cost for a knee brace is $15 to $30.
7. Elbow Compression Brace for Upper Body Exercises
Here are crucial reasons why I included it in this must have gym bag accessories list.
- It helps stabilize the joint and reduce pain during heavy lifting sessions.
- It allows pushing more weight and enhances performance.
- It helps increase stability and strength and prevent injuries.
How to choose the best elbow brace compression support sleeve?
There are many different brands, models, and types of elbow braces available online and offline. The choices can be overwhelming for people who have never used an elbow brace before.
The most important thing to remember is that you need to choose a model that fits your needs and will provide you with maximum support while using it. For example, You can buy that elbow compression which has a velcro strap so you can adjust its size as per your needs.
How much does it cost you?
You can get some decent quality elbow brace compression sleeves between $10 to $20 from Amazon or any other online store. Make sure to read recent reviews before you buy it.
8. Deodorant for Freshness and Fragrance
The main reason for using deodorant is to smell nice and feel fresh, confident, and focused. When you exercise, sweat tends to build up on your skin, making you smell bad, but you can use deodorant to prevent this by masking the scent that comes from sweat.
Why have I included it in this must have gym bag essentials list?
- Perfumes are not only used to cover up bad odors, but they can also help you feel more energized and motivated.
- The study has shown that the fragrance of deodorant helps focus your mind on your workout because it triggers an increased awareness of your body’s movements, induced positive feelings during exercise, reduces fatigue during exercise, and improves participants’ feelings during the recovery period.1 Kwon S, Ahn J, Jeon H. Can Aromatherapy Make People Feel Better Throughout Exercise? Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Jun 24;17(12):4559. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17124559. PMID: 32599887; PMCID: PMC7344894.
- There are many people come to the gym, and they all have different body smell. And if they smell bad, you won’t be able to work out as efficiently as you do after using the scent.
What is the best deodorant for exercise?
If you are looking for the best deodorant for exercise, then there is no better choice than a natural deodorant.
There are many reasons why these products work so well. First of all, they do not contain any harmful chemicals that can cause irritation and even allergies.
They also do not contain aluminum or other metals that can cause health problems in the long run.
You should avoid conventional antiperspirant deodorants as they can cause irritation and are not good for sensitive skin.
How much does it cost you?
Natural deodorant is a bit more expensive than conventional antiperspirants. You can expect to pay anywhere between $5-$25, it depending on quantity, quality, and brand.
9. Hand sanitizer from Germs protection
You go to the gym to keep yourself fit and strong, but sometimes a minor mistake, such as not using sanitizer, can cause you to get sick, especially during post covid pandemic.
The sanitizer is now an essential gym bag accessory you must carry with you every day. It helps keep your hand clean and germs-free during the workout.
Hand sanitizers are alcohol based and contain antibacterial agents that kill germs on contact. The alcohol in hand sanitizer evaporates quickly, so you can use it without worrying about leaving a residue behind.2WHO-recommended handrub formulations – Natitional Health Institute
Here’s why you should carry hand sanitizer in your gym bag:
- It helps prevent infections from occurring when you touch gym equipment or other people’s sweaty bodies at the gym.
- It also helps in removing bacteria from your hands that are responsible for causing colds, flu, and other diseases.
- Hand sanitizers can be used as a substitute for soap when you are washing your hands before or after weight training.
What kind of hand sanitizer should you use?
There are many kinds of hand sanitizers available in the market. Some are alcohol based while others are not. You should choose a hand sanitizer that is safe for your skin and doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can be used by people with sensitive skin, as they are very effective in killing germs and bacteria on your hands. However, they have an odor and may not be suitable for those with allergies as they contain ethanol and methanol.
Another option is to use soap-free hand sanitizers, which don’t contain any harsh chemicals but still kill germs.
The most effective kind of hand sanitizer to use is a gel-based product. These products are more effective at killing germs than liquid hand sanitizers because they don’t evaporate as quickly, and they have less of an odor.
How much does a hand sanitizer cost you?
A single bottle of hand sanitizer can cost anywhere from $4 to $10, depending on the brand, type, and size of the bottle. A small tube can cost as little as a couple of dollars, while larger bottles will usually run you around 10 to 15 bucks.
10. Earbuds/Headset for Motivation
The earbuds or headsets are good for enjoying songs, and songs motivate you to work harder in the gym. Listening to songs boost energy levels, improves mood, and helps you focus on the exercise.
The studies have demonstrated that music increases the duration of exercise, promotes more positive affective valence, enhances physical performance, reduces perceived exertion, and improves physiological efficiency.3 Thakare AE, Mehrotra R, Singh A. Effect of music tempo on exercise performance and heart rate among young adults. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. 2017 Apr 15;9(2):35-39. PMID: 28533890; PMCID: PMC5435671,4 Terry PC, Karageorghis CI, Curran ML, Martin OV, Parsons-Smith RL. Effects of music in exercise and sport: A meta-analytic review. Psychol Bull. 2020 Feb;146(2):91-117. doi: 10.1037/bul0000216. Epub 2019 Dec 5. PMID: 31804098.
Which earbuds or headset should you use?
When it comes to buying new earbuds, choose the ones that fit well in your ear and don’t fall out during the workout. Also, make sure that they aren’t too hard on your ears.
You can consider these couple of things before you buy earbuds:
- Good battery life and sound quality.
- They should be comfortable to wear.
- Recent reviews must be good.
How much do earbuds cost you?
The price of earbuds varies from brand to brand and model to model. The cheapest pair of earbuds will cost around $10, while the more expensive ones can go up to $200.
- 1Kwon S, Ahn J, Jeon H. Can Aromatherapy Make People Feel Better Throughout Exercise? Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Jun 24;17(12):4559. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17124559. PMID: 32599887; PMCID: PMC7344894.
- 2WHO-recommended handrub formulations – Natitional Health Institute
- 3Thakare AE, Mehrotra R, Singh A. Effect of music tempo on exercise performance and heart rate among young adults. Int J Physiol Pathophysiol Pharmacol. 2017 Apr 15;9(2):35-39. PMID: 28533890; PMCID: PMC5435671
- 4Terry PC, Karageorghis CI, Curran ML, Martin OV, Parsons-Smith RL. Effects of music in exercise and sport: A meta-analytic review. Psychol Bull. 2020 Feb;146(2):91-117. doi: 10.1037/bul0000216. Epub 2019 Dec 5. PMID: 31804098.