From superset and tri-set to pyramid set and drop set, there are various ways of training the muscles for bodybuilding. Out of multiple rep-set methods, I’ll share about drop-set workout training in this article.
Drop sets training involves performing multiple sub-sets within a set. During this training, you start lifting heavy and perform as many reps as possible, then decrease weight and again perform some reps till failure and continue until you can’t.
It helps the lifter reach muscular fatigue in a more time-efficient manner than the traditional way of (horizontal) loading.
You can integrate this training method to increase muscular strength, endurance, and mass.
However, you must have a well-crafted drop set workout routine to train in an organized manner and achieve your fitness goal.
In this article, I’ve shared a weekly 4-day drop set workout program that will push you to work hard and help you level up your fitness.
Those who want a challenging but effective training program for muscle growth can follow this routine.
Pros and Cons of Drop Set Workout
Let’s see some of the benefits and downsides of drop sets training that will help you whether you should do it or not.
- Drop sets are excellent for muscle building. This type of training keeps the muscles under constant tension and helps increase mass gain.1 Fink J, Schoenfeld BJ, Kikuchi N, Nakazato K. Effects of drop set resistance training on acute stress indicators and long-term muscle hypertrophy and strength. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2018;58(5):597-605. doi:10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06838-4
- Drop sets training is more time as it allows you to perform more repetitions in the same or less time than the straight sets.
- Doing drop sets also keeps your heart rate high during the lifts, torches significant calories, and improves cardiovascular fitness.
- The drop sets are an intense method of training, so it can make you tire quickly.
- This is only for advanced lifters with decent muscular strength and endurance.
Below is an example of a 4-day weekly drop set training program that you can follow. Give it a try for a few months to see if it works for you or not.
The 4-Day Drop Set Workout Routine for Muscle Growth
The intensity of lift during subset:
- Subset 1: Lift at 75% of maximum strength (1RM) and perform as many reps as possible.
- Subset 2: Lift at 50% of your 1RM and do as many reps as possible.
- Subset 3: Lift at 25% of your 1RM and do as many reps as possible.
- For example, if you maximally lift 60kg in one rep, then start with 45 kg and perform as many reps as possible, then drop the weight to 30 kg and perform as many reps till failure, and again lower the weight by 15 kg and do reps until you can no longer lift.
Weekly drop set workout schedule:
- Monday – Chest, Legs, and Triceps
- Tuesday – Back, Shoulder, and Biceps
- Wednesday – OFF
- Thursday – Legs, Chest, and Triceps
- Friday – OFF
- Saturday – Back, Shoulder, and Biceps
- Sunday – OFF
- Suggested Program Duration: 8 Weeks
Here’s how you can perform reps and sets in drop-set training.
- Sets per exercise: 2-3
- Subsets per set: 3
- Rep ranges per subset: 4-8
- Rest between sets: 3 minutes
Warm-up: It is best to do 5-10 minutes of warm-up exercises to increase your heart rate and prepare your muscles for intense resistance exercises. You can jog on the treadmill, do bodyweight cardio exercises, or lift a light bar and dumbbell for warm-up.
Monday (Day 1) – Chest, Legs, and Triceps
|Smith/Barbell Flat Bench Press||Chest||3|
|High-to-Low Cable Flyes||Chest||3|
|Machine Leg Curl||Hamstrings||2|
|One-arm Overhead Cable Extension||Triceps||2|
Tuesday (Day 2) – Back, Shoulder, and Biceps
|Front Lat Pulldown||Back||3|
|Seated Cable Row||Back||3|
Thursday (Day 3) – Legs, Chest, and Triceps
|Machine Leg Press/Back Squat||Quads||3|
|Incline Bench Press||Chest||3|
|Pec Deck Machine Fly||Chest||3|
Saturday (Day 4) – Back, Shoulder, and Biceps
|V-grip Lat Pulldown||Back||3|
|Rear Delt Machine Fly||Shoulder||2|
|Rope Hammer Curl||Biceps||2|
Note: You can make as many changes to this program as you want.
Download The Drop Set Training Program PDF
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Train Your Abs on Rest Days?
Yes, you can train your abs once a week to forge your core. Having a strong core helps enhance performance during other weightlifting exercises, such as the deadlift, bench press, and bent-over row.
Can You Follow Drop Sets Training to Lose Weight?
Yes, you can pair resistance drop sets training with cardio to annihilate plenty of calories, build lean mass, and improve body composition.
How Long Should You Perform Drop Sets to Build Muscle?
Whichever workout program you follow, you should stick with it for at least 8 weeks to see the results.
- 1Fink J, Schoenfeld BJ, Kikuchi N, Nakazato K. Effects of drop set resistance training on acute stress indicators and long-term muscle hypertrophy and strength. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2018;58(5):597-605. doi:10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06838-4