After the diet, high-intense cardio is crucial for fat loss, but barbell strength workouts help you build muscular strength and lean mass while losing fats1 Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults – Journal of Applied Physiology 2 Evidence for Resistance Training as a Treatment Therapy in Obesity – Journal of Obesity. So if you want to include weight lifting workouts in your weight loss workout routine, check out the 10 best barbell exercises that will help you boost strength and burn a good number of calories.
The barbell weight loss workouts that I’m going to share will be challenging and test your strength. However, they are efficient and can help you speed up your fat loss.
List of High Calorie Burning Barbell Workouts For Fat Loss
|Beginner to Intermediate||Advanced|
|Barbell Lunges||Barbell Jammer|
|Barbell Push Press||Clean and Press|
|Barbell Deadlift||Deadlift High pull|
|Barbell Bench Press||Squat to Overhead Press|
|Barbell Bent-over Row||Barbell Hang Snatch|
Related: Barbell Workout Routine At Home (With PDF)
1. Barbell Jammer
The barbell jammer is a full-body compound workout that works primarily on legs, glutes, chest, core, shoulders, and arms.
It may be a slightly different workout than those you usually do. However, it will be a great exercise to burn many calories while building muscle strength.
You can incorporate it in your bodyweight HIIT cardio and strength workout plan for fat loss.
You can follow the below steps to do the jammer with a barbell.
- Place the one end of the bar in a corner so that it stay intact and insert the weights into another end according to your strength.
- Stand in front of the barbell with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and squat down to grab the head of end (2) of the bar firmly with your both hands. The end would be between your feet.
- Push your feet into the ground and drive your hips forward until your knees are fully extended.
- In the running motion, raise your heels off the ground and press the bar up simultaneously until your arms are fully straight.
- Pause for a moment and then return into the squat position. That’s your one rep!
- Do two to three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions each.
2. Barbell Lunges
The barbell lunges strengthen and tone lower body muscles and burn a good number of calories.
Some of the best leg exercises like squats and lunges increase blood flow and get your heart pump.
Whether you’re a beginner or pro, include barbell lunges in your gym workout routine to lose fats while developing lean mass.
- Place a bar on back of your shoulder with the desired weights and stand straight.
- Take one large step forward with your right leg and bend both knees simultaneously until they are close to the ground.
- Press into the floor with your front foot to stand back.
- Repeat as many times as possible.
3. Clean and Press
Barbell clean press is one of the full-body workouts you can do for weight loss. It will help you burn more calories and boost strength, power, and speed.
Primary muscles worked: Shoulders, Arms, Core, Hips, and Quad.
You can include barbell clean and press in your HIIT weight loss workout routine.
It has several variations and depending on what suits you the most, and you can do one of them.
Let’s see how to do it step-by-step.
- Stand upright with your shin close to the bar. Bend your knees and grab the bar firmly with an overhand grip with your hands are slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Brace you abdominal muscles and pull the bar toward your chest.
- Once the bar reach to your chest height, slightly bend at your hips and then rotate your elbows to bring the bar on your front shoulders, so your palms are facing up and elbows under the bar.
- Extend your knees and then press the bar overhead until your arms are fully straight.
- Reverse the movement to complete one repetition.
4. The Sumo Deadlift high pull Workout To Burn Fat and Lose Weight
The high pull is a compound workout that works on the upper body.
It is a quick and high-intense movement that helps you burn more calories during and after the workout, and you can include it in your weight loss strength training.
Primary Muscle Build: Back, Biceps, Hips, and Core
You can also do high pull with dumbbells and kettlebells, but a bar can be more effective.
Here are the steps to perform deadlift high pull:
- Place a bar close to your shin and stand upright with your feet two times wider than hip-width apart and toes pointing slightly outward.
- Bend at your knees and grab the bar firmly with an overhand grip with your hands are a couple of inches shorter than shoulder-width. Your back should remain flat during the entire workout.
- Brace your core, inhale and press your feet into the floor to slowly stand up and pull the bar up toward your neck at the same time.
- Shrugging your shoulders, pull your arms up as high as possible or until your elbows are high and outside.
- Once your hips and knees are extended, hold the bar at the top for a moment and then lower it to the start.
- Repeat for the desired number of sets and reps.
- Complete the entire movement as fast as possible.
5. Barbell Push Press
A push press is one of the high calories burning strength workouts that you can do with a barbell for increasing weight loss.
It is an intense form of overhead press and can be an excellent option to burn fats while building strength and muscles.
- Holding a bar with your hands, stand straight in the hip-width stance.
- Hold the bar in front of your shoulder with your elbows pointing down to forward.
- Keep your hands just outside of your shoulders with your palms are facing up.
- Lower your torso by bending your hips and knees until you reach into a half squat position.
- Extend your knees and hips and explosively press the bar up overhead simultaneously until your legs are arms are full straight.
- Return the bar on your shoulder and repeat the same steps for the desired number of times.
- Do entire movement at a quick pace.
6. Barbell Bench Press
You can do as many fancy exercises as you like, but basic ones are always effective. And the bench press is one of them.
Although this is simply a chest workout, it is one of the best barbell exercises you can do to build muscles and improve your body composition.
- Put the desired weights into the bar and lay down on the bench with your chest directly under the bar.
- Firmly grab the bar width your hands are two times wider than hip-width apart.
- Lift bar off the rack and lower it down at just over your chest.
- Press the bar toward over your chest until your arms are straight.
- Pause, and then lower it down and repeat for the desired number of times.
- Complete as many reps as you like.
You can perform the incline bench press in the same way on a 30 to 45-degree incline bench.
7. Barbell Deadlift Exercises For Weight Loss
Whether you want to lose weight, gain muscles, or boost aerobic and anaerobic capacity, the deadlift can help you achieve it.
The deadlift enhances muscular power, improves the quality of life, and decreases the risk of health issues in obese and overweight individuals – concluded in a study published by the Sports Basel.3 Muscular Power during a Lifting Task Increases after Three Months of Resistance Training in Overweight and Obese Individuals – NCBI Journal
However, the study included a limited number of persons and for a short time. But still, I believe a deadlift can help you improve your physical strength. So, you can include it in your weight loss workout routine.
If you’re not comfortable, you can also take your instructor’s advice before starting the deadlift.
To perform the deadlift, you must learn the proper form; if you know it, excellent! But if you want to know the appropriate technique, you can check out this article.
However, you can also follow this video guide.
8. Squat to Overhead Press
You’ll have to do two exercises simultaneously during the squat to overhead press.
It may not be suitable for beginners; however, you can give it a try.
- Grab a bar with your hands and place it on the front part of your shoulders.
- Stand upright with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Perform a squat and then press the bar over your head until your arms straight.
- Do 16 to 20 repetitions in a couple of sets.
9. Barbell Bent-over Row
The barbell bent-over row is a workout that helps in building a broader and shredded back.
You can incorporate it into your plan if you like it.
- Holding a bar with an underhand grip (your hands should be shoulder-width apart), stand straight in the normal stance.
- Bend your torso forward with your arms are straight underneath your chest.
- Keep your back straight, brace your core, inhale and pull the bar toward your stomach.
- Hold the bar at the top of your lift and then lower it to the start.
- Do two to three sets of 10 to 12 reps each.
10. Barbell Hang Snatch For Fat Loss
The barbell hang snatch is one of the total body high-intense workouts you can include in your weight loss program.
It burns a good number of calories and boosts strength, power, and explosiveness.
Here are the steps you can follow to do a hang snatch.
- Holding a bar with an overhand grip, stand straight in the hip-width stance. And keep your hands just outside your hips with your palms are facing in. That’s the starting position.
- Keeping your arms straight, slightly lower the bar just above your knees and then explosively pull the bar up until it comes in the bottom of the overhead squat.
- Lastly, press the bar up until your arms and knees are fully extended.
- Lower the bar to the start and repeat for the desired number of times.
The Barbell Weight Loss Workout Plan to Burn Fat fast
Along with the cardio, you can do the following routine.
- Duration: 30 to 45 minutes
- Frequency: 3 days a week
- Rest between sets: 1-3 minutes
- Prefer time to workout: Afternoon or Eveving (But, you can do whenever suits you the most.)
Day 1 – Monday
|Barbell Lunges||10 x 3|
|Barbell Jammer||8 x 3|
|Barbell Bench Press||10 x 3|
|Barbell Bent-over Row||10 x 3|
Day 2 – Wednesday
|Barbell Push Press||10 x 3|
|Barbell Deadlift||6, 5, 4|
|Deadlift High pull||8 x 3|
|Barbell Squat||10 x 3|
Day 3 – Friday
|Clean and Press||8 x 2|
|Barbell Lunges||10 x 2|
|Barbell Hang Snatch||8 x 2|
|Barbell Bench Press||10 x 2|
|Barbell Bent-over Row||10 x 2|
- 1Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults – Journal of Applied Physiology
- 2Evidence for Resistance Training as a Treatment Therapy in Obesity – Journal of Obesity