Intermittent fasting is one of the trending topics in the health and fitness industry for the last couple of years. It is especially an effective method for weight loss. Additionally, it also improves metabolism and metabolic health, reduces cholesterol, protects you from a major disease like diabetes and cardiovascular attack, and help you live longer. But do you know how long does it take for intermittent fasting to work?
In this article, I’ll share how long does intermittent fasting takes to lose weight, as well as how long to do intermittent fasting before seeing results for overall health. And all answers will be based on research, studies, and personal experiences.
How Long Does Intermittent Fasting take to Lose Weight?
Intermittent fasting, indeed a scientific approach for losing weight faster. A well-organized analysis of 40 studies suggests that intermittent fasting is effective for weight loss. On average a person can lose 7-11 pounds in the period of 10 weeks. (Source)
Here are more couple of studies that backed the findings of weight loss through interval fasting. And tell us how long it actually takes to show results.
- According to research published online on Oct 14, 2019, has shown that doing time-restricted fasting on every alternate day for 8 weeks reduces equivalent weight loss when compared to continuous energy restriction (CER).
- In an article published in Feb 2020, mentioned 27 Intermittent fasting trials that showed 0.8 % to 13 % weight reduction over the period of 2 to 26 weeks.
The above findings are based on studies. But how about the real world, what is people’s opinion on how long does Intermittent Fasting take to work?
r/intermittentfasting a subreddit on Reddit is the best place to get an idea of how people are following IF and how long does it take them to see the noticeable result.
After researching on r/intermittentfasting sub, I can conclude that it takes between 8 to 12 weeks to start seeing changes in your body composition.
How long to do intermittent fasting before seeing Results on Overall Health?
Many studies concluded that one must follow 8 to 12 weeks of long time-restricted fasting before seeing positive results on overall health like metabolic health, mood, brain health, etc.
However, the result varies from person to person. Some people only do interval fasting but they don’t follow a restricted diet. Most people workout along with fasting. And some do three of those all together, like fasting, diet, and exercising.
The proper you follow the routine, the faster you’ll see the results and vice versa.
What IF pattern should you follow?
The intermittent fasting pattern is divided into two parts, the fasting window, and the eating window. There are several IF patterns like 16/8, 18/6, 15/9, etc. It’s up to you and your lifestyle, which one you follow.
18/6– According to an article published by The New England Journal of Medicine, 18/6 IF pattern accelerates metabolism rate, increased stress resistance, protect you from diseases including cancer and obesity as well as increase longevity.
16/8- A study published online on Oct 13, 2016, demonstrated that 8 weeks of 16/8 fasting method with resistance training could improve some health-related issue, decrease body fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males.
How to make intermittent Fasting more Effective?
To get the desired result faster, you can follow the below instructions:
- Avoid Sugars. In the long term, sugar might reduce the effect of fasting. Instead of that, you can eat fruits, green veggies, beans, oats, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
- Allow your body to burn calories during the fast state. You can do low to high-intensity cardio exercises while fasting to accelerate your metabolism rate and calories burning process.
- Avoid eating calories at night-time or early morning: If you want to see the early results, you need to avoid late-night eating. If you follow the 16/8 method, you can eat between 9 am to 5 pm or 10 to 6. During the fasting mode, you can drink water or calorie-less fluids.
- The Ultimate List of Isolation Exercises with PDF - 26th May 2022
- The Best Kettlebell HIIT Workouts and Routines with PDF - 24th May 2022
- 12 Week Crossfit Program with Free pDF - 21st May 2022