If you’re looking for an easy-to-follow and effective dumbbell push pull workout routine to build muscles at home, this article is for you.
The Push-Pull is one of the popular training splits that involve performing push and pull exercises on alternate days.
Push day involves training the chest, shoulders, quads, and triceps, while pull day comprises hamstrings, back, biceps, and rear delt exercises.
Anyone (including beginners) wanting to build strength and mass and enhance their fitness level can try this program. And I believe you’ll see some progress in the first few months.
Note: I’ve modified the push-pull-legs (PPL) split into a push/pull split and included leg exercises, such as squats, leg extension, leg press, and calf raises on push day and leg curl and RDL on pull day so that you can train each muscle group twice a week in this four-day split.
|Program Duration||8-12 Weeks|
|Split Type||Push-Pull Split|
|Difficulty level||Beginner to Intermediate|
|Equipment Required||Dumbbells and a flexible bench|
|Workout Goal||Strength and Muscle Building|
|Duration/session||45 to 60 minutes|
|Target Gender||Males and Females|
|PDF of This Workout Plan||At the Bottom|
4-Day Push Pull Dumbbell Workout to Build Muscle at Home
- Monday – Push Workout (Quad, Chest, & Triceps)
- Tuesday – Pull Workout (Back, Biceps, Hamstring, and Core)
- Wednesday – OFF
- Thursday – Push Workout (Shoulder, Chest, Quad, and Glutes)
- Friday – OFF
- Saturday – Pull Workout (Rear Delt, Back, Hamstrings, and Core)
- Sunday – OFF
This push-pull dumbbell split involves training large muscle groups two times and small muscles once a week and will help you build strength, endurance, and lean mass at home.
It will be a superset workout routine. Superset training involves performing two muscle groups together (agonist and antagonist) with little or no rest between them.
Monday – Dumbbell Push Workout
- Jumping Jacks: 15-sec x 2
- Mountain Climber: 15-sec x 2
- Back and Forth Leg Swings: 10 reps/leg
- Pushups: 10 reps x 2
|DB Front Squat + Incline DB Bench Press||Quads and Chest||3 and 3||15 and 12|
|Dumbbell Lunges + Dumbbell Fly||Legs and Chest||2 and 2||10/leg and 15|
|Incline French Press + Leg Extension||Triceps & Quads||3 and 3||12 and 15|
- Superset 1: After the warm-up, perform 15 dumbbell squats, followed by 12 incline dumbbell bench presses, then take 60-90 seconds of break and repeat two more times.
- Superset 2: Perform 10 lunges with the right foot, 15 dumbbell pec flyes, then 10 lunges with the left foot. That’s one set. Take 30-45 seconds of rest, then repeat one more time.
- Superset 3: Do 12 French presses followed by 15 leg extensions, then rest for 45 seconds and repeat three thrice.
Tuesday – Dumbbell Pull Workout
- Ankle Hops: 10-sec x 2
- Reverse Lunge to Front Kick: 5 reps/leg x 2
- High Knees: 15-sec x 2
- Superman Pull: 10 reps x 2
|Dumbbell Deadlift + Incline DB Curl||Back, Ham, and Biceps||3||10-12|
|Bent-over Row + Prone Leg Curl||Back and Hamstring||3||12-15|
|One-arm DB Row + Reverse Crunches||Back and Abs||2||12-15|
|One-arm Preacher Curl + Dumbbell Swings||Full Body||2||15/arm|
- Superset 1: Perform 10 deadlifts and 12 dumbbell curls, take 45-60 seconds of break, and repeat thrice.
- Superset 2: Do 12 bent-over rows followed by 15 leg curls, rest for 45-60 seconds, and repeat two more times.
- Superset 3: Perform 15 rows with the right arm, followed by 10 reverse crunches, and again 10 rows with the left arm to complete the first set. Take 30-45 seconds of rest and repeat one more time.
- Superset 4: Do 15 preacher curls and kettlebell swings with the right hand, followed by the left hand. Take 45-60 seconds of intervals and repeat once more.
Thursday – Push Dumbbell Workout
- Jumping Jacks: 15-sec x 2
- Burpees: 5 reps x 2
- Back and Forth Leg Swings: 15-sec/leg
- Dive Bomber Pushups: 5 reps x 2
|Flat Bench Press + Curtsy Lunges||Chest and Legs||3 and 2||12 and 10/leg|
|Arnold Press + Pop Squat||Chest and Legs||3 and 2||10 and 8|
|Lateral Raises + Hip Thrust||Shoulder and Glute||3 and 2||12 and 10|
|1-arm OH Tricep Extension + Calf Raises||Shoulder and Calves||2/side||15 per side|
- Superset 1: Perform 12 bench presses and 10 curtsy lunges on each side, followed by 45-60 seconds of rest. Repeat twice and end with 12 bench presses.
- Superset 2: Perform three sets of Arnold press and two sets of Pop squats.
- Superset 3: Perform 12 bench presses and 10 hip thrusts, followed by 45-60 seconds of rest. Repeat three times.
- Superset 4: Do 15 single-arm triceps extensions with your right hand and 15 calf raises with your right foot. Repeat on the opposite side with no rest to complete one set.
Saturday – Pull Dumbbell Workout
- Ankle Hops: 15-sec x 2
- Jumping Jacks: 15-sec x 2
- Inchworm: 15-sec x 2
|Bent-over Row + Reverse Crunches||Back and Core||3 and 2||15 and 10|
|Chest Supported Row + H2L Chop||Upper Back, Rear Delt & Core||3 and 2||15 and 10|
|Rear Delt Raises + Prone Leg Curl||Rear Delt and Hamstring||3 and 3||12 and 12|
|DB Pullover + Plank DB Drag||Back + Core||3 and 2||12 and 5/arm|
- Superset 1: Perform 15 bent-over rows and 10 reverse crunches, followed by 30-45 seconds of rest. And once you complete two sets, perform 15 bent-over rows to end your first superset.
- Superset 2: Perform three sets of chest-supported rows and two sets of standing high-to-low dumbbell chops.
- Superset 3: Perform 12 rear delt raises and 10 lying leg curls, followed by 45-60 seconds of rest. Repeat thrice.
- Superset 4: Perform three sets of dumbbell pullovers and two sets of plank dumbbell drag.
Download The Dumbbell Push Pull Workout PDF
You can make as many changes as you like based on your fitness level.
- 12 Dumbbell Push Exercises
- 20 Dumbbell Pull Exercises
- 15 Dumbbell Leg Exercises
- Dumbbell Exercises List By Muscle Group
Alternate Dumbbell Workout Routines: