You can do various exercises with dumbbells and barbells to bolster each muscle group throughout the body. But to achieve maximum results, you need a workout program.
A workout plan helps you work out in an organized manner and achieve decent results.
That’s why I’ve created a 5 day workout plan for those who train primarily with dumbbells and barbells only.
This workout plan is suitable for all fitness enthusiasts, from beginner and intermediate to males and females.
This program will help you put on muscles, increase your strength, and scale up your fitness level.
Whether you train in your home or commercial gym, you can download this workout program to build your best physique.
|Expected Program Duration||3 Months|
|Weekly Frequency||5 Days a week|
|Routine Type||Upper/Lower Split Training|
|Goal||Increase Strength and Mass|
|Workout Level||Beginners to Intermediate|
|Target Gender||Male and Female|
|Suitable Age Group||16-45 Years|
|Daily Workout Duration||45-60 Minutes|
|Additional Equipment Needed||Weight Plates & A Workout Bench|
|Preceding Workout Plan||4-Day Barbell Dumbbell Workout|
|Recommended Supplement||Whey Protein Isolate|
5 Day Dumbbell and Barbell Workout Plan to Build Muscles
- Monday: Upper Body
- Tuesday: Lower Body
- Day 3: Upper Body
- Day 4: OFF
- Day 5: Lower Body
- Day 6: Upper Body
- Day 7: OFF
Please Note: Perform three to minutes of cardio exercises to increase your heart rate, blood flow, and oxygen supply. The warm-up helps boost performance and minimize the risk of injuries.1Park, H. K., Jung, M. K., Park, E., Lee, C. Y., Jee, Y. S., Eun, D., Cha, J. Y., & Yoo, J. (2018). The effect of warm-ups with stretching on the isokinetic moments of collegiate men. Journal of exercise rehabilitation, 14(1), 78–82. https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1835210.605
Day 1 – Upper Body Workout
|Flat Barbell Bench Press||Chest||12 x 4||2-min|
|Incline DB Bench Press||Chest||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Fly||Chest||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Lateral Raises||Shoulder||12 x 3||2 min|
|Rear Delt Raises||Shoulder||12 x 3||2 min|
|Dumbbell French Press||Triceps||12 x 3||2 min|
Day 2 – Lower Body Workout
|Back Squat||Quadriceps||12 x 4||2-3 min|
|Lunges||Legs||8 x 3/side||1-2 min|
|Step-up||Lower Body||8 x 3/side||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Leg Curl||Hamstrings||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Glute Bridge||Glute||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Calf Raises||Calves||12 x 3||1-2 min|
Day 3 – Upper Body Workout
|Ben-over Barbell Row||Back||12 x 4||1-3 min|
|Neutral Grip DB Bent-over Row||Back||12 x 3||1-3 min|
|Single-arm Dumbbell Row||Back||10 x 3/side||1-2 min|
|Barbell Biceps Curl||Biceps||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Incline DB Curl||Biceps||10 x 2||1-2 min|
|Landmine Oblique Twist||Core||10 x 2||1-2 min|
Day 4 – Lower Body Workout
|DB Sumo Squat||Quadriceps||12 x 4||2-3 min|
|DB Romanian Deadlift||Legs||10 x 3||1-2 min|
|Cossack Squat||Lower Body||8 x 3/side||1-2 min|
|Lateral Bridge||Core, Hips, Lower Back||8 x 3/side||1-2 min|
|Leg Curl||Hamstring||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Barbell Hip Thrust||Glutes||12 x 3||1-2 min|
Day 5 – Upper Body Workout
|Dumbbell IYT Raises||Back and Shoulder||8 x 3||2-min|
|Incline DB Bench Press||Chest||12 x 3||2-min|
|Dumbbell Pullover||Chest and Lats||12 x 3||2-min|
|Dumbbell Lateral Raises||Shoulder||12 x 3||1-2 min|
|Dumbbell Reverse Fly||Back and Shoulder||12 x 3||2-min|
|One-arm Tricep Extension||Triceps||10 x 3/side||30-sec|
|Dumbbell Wood Chop||Core||10 x 2/side||30-sec|
5 Day Dumbbell Barbell Split Workout PDF
Additional Tips and Information for Maximizing Results
- Progressive Overload: Increase the loads, the number of reps and sets, and daily workout duration gradually to level up your fitness and build an athletic physique.
- Pre-Workout Meal: For an effective training session, you should have your meal 30 minutes to 2 hours before the training, depending on what kind of food you consume.
- Post-Workout Meal: Having some good foods and supplements after the training helps rebuild muscle and increase mass. I suggest consuming 40-50 grams of protein and one gram of carbs per kg of your body weight for optimal results (it is only an example, a nutritionist can help you better in this case).
- Modification: You can make any adjustment to this program depending on your fitness level.
- Add a variety of exercises: You can include more exercises from the list of dumbbell and barbell exercises in the coming weeks.
- Best time to work out: It is best to work out when you feel physically and mentally active to give your best.
- Maintain a little discipline: Repeating the same thing for a considerable period can be boring, but you must be disciplined to accomplish the best result.
- 1Park, H. K., Jung, M. K., Park, E., Lee, C. Y., Jee, Y. S., Eun, D., Cha, J. Y., & Yoo, J. (2018). The effect of warm-ups with stretching on the isokinetic moments of collegiate men. Journal of exercise rehabilitation, 14(1), 78–82. https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1835210.605